Colgate Swim Camp
Grace H. Lineberry Natatorium
The Grace H. Lineberry Natatorium is home to the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams and club water polo teams. The facility houses a 50 meter L-shaped pool which includes a 25-yard, eight-lane competitive area, two 1 meter and one 3 meter diving boards, a varsity team meeting room and seating for 375 spectators. The natatorium uses movable bulkheads and is one of only two natatoriums with a retractable roof east of the Mississippi. The entrance for teams is through the Huntington Gymnasium while the entrance for spectators is at the south end of Lineberry where parking is provided.
Grace H. Lineberry Natatorium was dedicated on September 21, 1974. It was funded by a generous donation from her estate as directed by its administrator, Lester D. Stickles ’18. At the opening of Lineberry, Colgate was one of only 20 colleges and universities in the nation with a 50 meter indoor swimming facility. The varsity swimming and diving teams shifted to Lineberry from the 4 lane James Colby Colgate pool which was constructed in 1927 and located in Huntington Gymnasium.
The first men’s home meet at Lineberry was on November 30, 1974 with a 69-44 win over Division III Williams College. The first women’s meet was a January, 1975 win over Syracuse University by 83-44.